PSY101 Fundamentals of Psychology Assignment
Order ID:89JHGSJE83839 Style:APA/MLA/Harvard/Chicago Pages:5-10
PSY101 Fundamentals of Psychology Assignment
Course Paper Assignment and Rubric
PSY101 – Fundamentals of Psychology I
Due: by 11:59pm EST on Sunday at the end of Unit 7
You are required to complete one course paper during the 8-week module; it will be due at the end of Unit 7. Please note that PRIOR to completing the course paper you will complete two other assignments that are designed to help you write a successful course paper. These include:
- Course paper resources assignment due by Sunday of Unit 4
- Course paper outline assignment due by Sunday of UNIT 5
These assignments are designed to help you complete your paper in stages. You will be graded on these assignments and receive feedback from your instructor so you will be comfortable that you are on the “right track” to complete the course paper in UNIT 7.
The requirements for your course paper are as follows:
- Written in the format of the most current (6th) edition of the APA manual.
- This type of research paper is similar to a literature review in that you will be discussing what information is currently known about your topic.
- Include a discussion of psychological theory AND key research findings relevant to your chosen topic (below). Your incorporation of theory and research should come from the information you find through your reading of scholarly sources and journal articles (from your course paper resources assignment due in UNIT 3).
- Include specific examples that support theory and research.
- Please note that this is NOT an opinion essay.
- The body of the paper must be five full pages in length, not including APA style title page and References page.
- Each paper must be a Word document, double spaced with size 12 Times New Roman font and 1 inch margins on all sides.
- Please use complete sentences, appropriate grammar, spelling, and a minimum of 4 SCHOLARLY references(you may use your textbook as one reference). Please be sure to avoid using Internet sources such as Wikipedia or other web-based resources that do not have strong academic backing.
- You will also be required to use in-text references in your work in accordance with APA style to avoid plagiarism. Plagiarism detection software will be used to scan each paper.
Refer to the rubric below for a guideline as to how your paper will be graded. Students are strongly encouraged to use the writing center (email@example.com) for assistance with all assignments.
Each paper must be submitted via Blackboard; emailed copies will not be accepted. Policies in regard to turning work in late also apply to these assignments .
Course Paper Topics: Please choose ONE of the following topics below for your paper:
- Compare and contrast humanistic and behavioral approaches to psychology? Please be sure to use at least 4 scholarly research examples to help demonstrate these principles.
- Choose a topic (examples: aggression, schizophrenia, depression, learning, conformity, media influence) in Psychology you would like to study. How would YOU study this topic using the Scientific Method? This should be your OWN design and not a copy of a previously published study.
- Describe four primary ethical principles required for psychological research with human beings. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to help demonstrate the principles.
- Why does a course on psychology begin by examining the structures and function of the nervous system? Give specific examples from at least 4 research studies that demonstrate how the nervous system influences behavior.
- Compare and contrast classical conditioning and operant conditioning. Explain real world applications of these learning theory principles. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to help demonstrate the principles.
- Define reinforcement and punishment. Why do psychologists prefer negative reinforcement to punishment as a way to shape behavior? Be sure to share at least four scholarly research examples in your discussion of the concepts.
- Describe the effects of watching violent television programs and movies on children. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to help demonstrate these effects.
- What are four harmful maternal behaviors that can affect the developing child?
- Choose one aspect of development (cognitive, personality, language, social/emotional) and discuss how nature and nurture might interact to influence this aspect of development. Please be sure to discuss at least fourscholarly research examples to support your ideas.
- How do cultural factors influence human development? Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to support your ideas.
- Choose a theorist (Freud, Piaget, Erikson, Skinner, or Bandura). Explain the main features of their theory and the relevance of their theory today. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to support your ideas.
- Choose a psychological disorder. Define the disorder, explain symptoms and impact on the individual and family/society. Discuss potential causes, and treatments. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to support your ideas.
- Explain how attitudes are changed through persuasion, and describe how attitudes and behavior influence one another. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to support your ideas.
- Define cognitive dissonance. Provide an example of cognitive dissonance from your own experience. Explain why cognitive dissonance can cause attitude change. Please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to support your ideas.
- Define social influence and conformity, and describe the factors that influence conformity. Please discuss a recent example from the news (global, national, or local) that helps demonstrate these concepts. Also, please be sure to use at least four scholarly research examples to support your ideas.
Refer to the grading rubric on the next page for grading criteria.
Students: Be sure to read the criteria, by which your paper/project will be evaluated, before you write, and again after you write.
Evaluation Rubric for Course Paper Assignment
CRITERIA Deficient Development Needed Proficient Exemplary 0 – 35 points 36- 47 points 48 – 53 points 54 – 60 points Content Subject matter is minimally addressed. Opinions are offered but arguments lack scholarly backing. Subject matter is adequately addressed. Arguments are partially supported by scholarly research. Subject matter is fairly well addressed. Arguments are supported by scholarly research but could be further elaborated with specific details. Subject matter is thoroughly addressed. Arguments are well elaborated and fully supported with scholarly research and specific examples. 0 – 8 points 9 – 11 points 12 – 13 points 14 – 15 points Scholarly Sources One or no scholarly sources are used. Two to three scholarly sources are included but are not well represented within the paper. Four scholarly sources are included but content discussion is not well represented within the paper. Four scholarly sources are included. Scholarly source content is well represented within the paper. 0 – 8 points 9 – 11 points 12 – 13 points 14 – 15 points Structure and Flow Flow is poor. Paragraphing is inappropriate. Transitions are minimal or absent. Significant redundancy is evident. Flow is adequate. Paragraphs may be too long or too short. Transitions are minimal and redundancy is evident. Flow is good. Paragraphing is mostly appropriate. Transitions are present and redundancies are minimal. Flow is excellent. Paragraphing is clear and transitions are smooth and consistent. Inappropriate redundancies are absent. 0 – 5 points 6 – 7 points 8 points 9 – 10 points Clear and professional writing and format Errors impede professional presentation; guidelines not followed. Numerous errors somewhat interfere with professional presentation. Few errors that do not impede professional presentation. Writing and format is clear, professional, APA compliant, and error free.
Note: Failure to incorporate feedback from the course paper outline assignment will result in up to a 10-point grade deduction on this assignment.
Student did incorporate feedback did not incorporate feedback (- ____ points)
Revised Grade: _______________